Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Captain America Party: The Cake

This time around I wasn't very adventurous with the cake decorating. I found some sugar sheets that could literally be cut into any shape you want, so I opted for the simple round cake with the Captain America "sugar shield" cut out on top. I also made cupcakes since the party guests totaled 20+.
The "Shield" cake.

I "doctored up" a Funfetti box cake to make it taste more homemade (here's the recipe for that) and I made homemade icing (here's that recipe, I always use this one). I decorated the sides of the cake and the tops of the cupcakes with Wilton red, white and blue stars sugar decorations. 

I cut out the sugar sheet shield the night before and wrapped it in wax paper until I iced the cake the next day.

##LESSON##

Sugar sheets are very sensitive to heat. The star was the top layer and melted a little over night. I had to re-cut and piece together a small portion of it because it stuck to the wax paper. Probably should have put it in the fridge or pieced it together the same day.



I found the cupcake liners during a random trip to Michael's. They were technically for a circus themed party, but because I didn't use the circus tent toppers they fit the theme perfectly.

Captain America cupcakes.


I made a total of 48 cupcakes and one double layer round cake. My son loved it and everyone thought the cupcakes tasted as homemade.


Mission Accomplished. It was a success.

 ~ Jessica


No comments:

Post a Comment