Sunday, July 7, 2013

Little Man Mustache Cake

It's birthday time again, and one of my friends asked if I could make a cake for her son's 1st birthday. She already decided on the theme of "Little Man, Mustache's and Top Hat's." So I of course went to Pinterest for inspiration. I found it from a pin that linked back to Sugar Shindigs.
Inspiration cake from Sugar Shindigs.

I learned from my other fondant creations that making your own is challenging, and time consuming. So this time I researched other ways of making sugar based icing that would be used for decorations like those on my inspiration cake. 

I found what I needed on Pinterest. It's a SUPER easy recipe for sculptable frosting that can be cut and shaped like fondant. The best part: it has a great flavor and smooth texture. It was from The Decorated Cookie and worked magically. 

Easy to mix, easy to color and tasted delicious!

My friend requested the same strawberry cake that I had made for her once before. My favorite strawberry cake recipe from Paula Deen.

I used strawberry flavored white buttercream icing to fill and cover the cake. I then mixed sculptable icing in black, red and teal to go with the party's color theme. I rolled out the icing and used a piece of paper to trace out the top hat and mustache. I hand rolled the little decorations that I used around the edges and hand formed the words "Happy Birthday MJ." 
Little Man Mustache & Top Hat cake for MJ.

The decorating was easy, the cake stayed moist and it was a huge hit at the party! 

It was  a lot of fun.

Thank You Pinterest, Sugar Shindigs and Paula Deen!

~ Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment