Sunday, April 21, 2013

Captain America Party: The Favors

The idea for this party came from my son basically refusing to take off his Captain America costume from Halloween last year. He would still be trying to wear it if I hadn't swiped it from his closet and stuffed it in a cabinet in the laundry room.

Knowing how much he loved it, I figured why not give it one last hurrah! His birthday is in April, so I figured (theoretically) he should still be able to fit it one last time.

After deciding on the theme, I pretty much started purchasing anything that fit the theme and could work for the "backyard, bounce house, superhero costume party" that I had in mind. 

The first thing that I put together were the party favors for the guests.



#LESSON#

Start planning as early as possible. If you know the theme you'll be able to score awesome stuff. Plus, it paces the spending, it's like a birthday party on layaway.

On a random shopping trip I found Captain America sticker books at Target. There were eight books in each pack, with about five sheets per book and the entire pack was $1. I could fill 20+ bags with a few full sheet of stickers.

Next, I found Captain America Pez dispensers at Walmart (they were $1.50 each). I knew they'd work for the boys, so I purchased those in January which was smart, because they were gone by April. It wasn't until around that time that I decided on Disney Princess Pez dispensers for the girls. I ended up with Bell, Mulan, Princess Tiana and Sleeping Beauty.

Once I had the biggest pieces figured out I needed to find something to hold all of the treats. I'm addicted to Pinterest, and that's where I found the inspiration for the treat bags. I already had some blue paper lunch bags, so when I saw these Captain America bags "Pinned" for $13, I was determined recreate them. I used stuff I already had, so it didn't cost me anything to make the boys bags.

 
Inspiration bag from Pinterest.


Blue bags and construction paper used for the Captain America bags.

For the girls, my "Love" thought of the wonderful idea to do Wonder Woman treat bags so they would fit the "Super Hero" theme. I purchased red paper lunch bags from Target (40 for $1.80) and used a combination of construction paper, printed Wonder Woman logos and silver star stickers (from Target, they also have them at the Dollar Tree I later discovered). So those bags cost me about $.07 each (I obviously have lots of leftover bags, which are good for dividing popcorn between little ones at the movies).

Wonder Woman logo, construction paper, stars and red bags used for Wonder Woman bags.


I lucked up and also found Avengers candy at the Dollar Tree (three different kinds) which I used to fill the rest of the bag (Taffy at nine for $1, Rock Candy at three for $1 and Sour Straws at eight for $1). 

All in all each bag cost roughly $2.15 to create and fill. I made a total of 10 Wonder Woman bags and 10 Captain America bags.




#LESSON# 
Try to use things that you already have, and make sure that you shop at the Dollar Tree. Everything's $1.

This was the first thing that I put together completely for the party and I was so excited to see the idea come together. I finished them a week before the party! 


~ Jessica


Captain America & Wonder Woman Treat Bags before they were stuffed.


The bags after they're filled with goodies. I hole punched the corners, attached a piece of construction paper with some ribbon (and a star sticker) and wrote "Thank You" on each one.


No comments:

Post a Comment